2.5
Number of Destinations

My wife and I booked a 5 day cruise on the NCL Pearl from Miami to celebrate our 9th Anniversary, and we had paid for an aft Penthouse Suite, which was to give additional benefits.Part of the benefits was an assigned concierge pre cruise to make such things as pillow choices, make specialty restaurant reservations, etc.

Well, we made pillow choices and booked specialty restaurants for all 4 nights, at least, so we thought. We arrived at the Port of Miami on 11/03/2015 for check in, and were supposed to have a special check in desk for suite/haven passengers, but we were herded in the same line as everyone else, and our attempt to show we were suite customers was ignored completely. When we finally got to the check in desk, we were to have purple colored key cars, not blue green ones, and our key cards were to have special marking that we had specialty dining and the drink package included, but it didn't. It took until the 3rd day and 4 key cards later before we finally received the right key card we should have received at check in.

The pre cruise pillow choices and specialty restaurant reservations we thought we made through the NCL pre cruise concierge, never happened. So now we had to rebook all our restaurant reservations, 4 attempts to get the right key cards, which having drinks all had to be corrected so we won't be billed at the end of the cruise, and all of this just took away from what was to be our 9th Anniversary celebration and a restful cruise. The second morning of the cruise my wife and I decided to walk to track for some exercise before breakfast and was by Cagney's Steakhouse, where we saw a sign for breakfast and lunch for suite customers only, we were never told about this, which was also another benefit we had coming, but had to find out by chance. It was now November 5th and the third day of our cruise, and we thought the worst was over now and we could finally relax and enjoy ourselves, well, how wrong we were.

At around 8 PM EST, we were in our robes, and heard a lot of commotion outside our stateroom and announcements being made, we could not make out, so I stuck my head our our door and saw people coming out of their cabins. I still had no idea what was going on so I tried 2 or 3 times to stick my head out the door, but just couldn't hear the announcements. I then told my wife we needed to get dressed and needed to grab all our valuables and passports. Just as we were done getting dressed a crew member banged on our door and yelled we needed to evacuate, and that there was a fire.

I went to the door and the crew member said to evacuate and proceed down the stairs to the 7th deck main elevators. One of the main problems at this point was that this was a ship wide emergency, which procedure and protocol is that emergency announcements should have happened in all ship areas including all cabins, but that did not happen. After proceeding to the 7th deck main elevators we heard twice on crew member radios a call for medical teams, so one or more people appeared to have been injured. At around 10:30 PM EST Bobby the NCL Pearl Cruise Director announced that we could all proceed back to our cabins and that the fire was contained and that the aft A/C was shut off because of smoke and should work agin in a couple of hours.

We proceeded to go back to our stateroom, and there was a very heavy smell of diesel fuel in the hallways and in our stateroom, which made us both nauseated, besides the anxiety and stress caused by the fire. From that point on, our A/C in our stateroom never worked again for the rest of the cruise, the smell of diesel fuel lingered in our room, and basically we weren't able to sleep or get any rest the remainder of the cruise. The concierge tried to do what she could do, but the cruise was full, and there just wasn't much she could do to make things right. Upon leaving the ship in Miami on 11/07/2015, we stayed a while longer in Miami before proceeding home to Houston, TX.

On 11/17/2015 I faxed (and it was received by NCL) NCL Guest Relations, as instructed by our travel agent, a complete write up of all that happened and as told here. On December 24, 2015 (Christmas Eve) a woman from NCL Guest Relations sent me an email, which never made any mention of the fire, the diesel fumes and nausea it caused us, the A/C not working, the anxiety and stress the fire caused, the lack of sleep, etc.

She offered us a $75 each, what she called a "Good Will Gesture", which I responded that day with our rejection.I did attempt to send 2 more emails to NCL Guest Relations, but never heard anything back, so we filed a complaint to the Better Business Bureau on 01/20/2016 and today (01/22/2016) I filed this complaint as well for all to be aware.

ehhartnett wrote the review because of "services not rendered and fire" at Norwegian Cruise Line. Reviewer claimed that he or she lost $1200 and wants Norwegian Cruise Line to issue a full refund.

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Norwegian Cruise Line and norwegian cruise line cruise for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Had an Experience with Norwegian Cruise Line?

Comments